Sunday, May 4, 2008

Petra, Jordan






I flew from Dar to Dubai, overnight in the airport, then to Amman, Jordan on Saturday morning. I have had my fair share of 24+ hour travel days and I have done some hard traveling, but there is nothing worse than spending the night in the airport. Trying to curl up around the armrests of a plastic chair is no fun. But, the Dubai airport has 24/7 Duty Free shopping, so i spent my time and money wisely :)


I arrived in Amman, obviously haggard from my journey, and still had a 3+ hour bus ride to Petra. I took the bus from the airport to one of the 3 bus stations, only to find out it wasn't the right station. But Jordanians are notoriously friendly, and I was headed in the right direction in no time. The Jordan I saw is desert, and not the sandy kind, but the rocky kind with mountains and scrub brush - its very desolate but beautiful. The only reason I'm in Jordan is for Petra and now I cannot find any words to describe it. Dramatic, breath taking, intense, overwhelming... they don't even come close to what I saw and what I felt. This place is magical. I spent 19 hours in Petra over 2 days. I met a Bedouin, Ahmed, who took me around on his Bedouin Ferrari, aka, mule and I got a local's point of view. Ahmed and his family live in Petra, there is a Bedouin village not far from the ruins, but he lives in a cave. I drank tea with his family and looked after their jewelery shop while they chatted with their neighbors.


If you've ever seen pictures of Petra, it's probably been of the Treasury, think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. But what you don't see is the miles and miles and miles of carved sandstone, wind and rain eroded rocks, cave formations, it's brilliant. Once past the Treasury, Petra opens up into an ancient town, with a street of facades, monastery, cemeteries...it can easily take a week to explore all of it. But I did my best with 2 days. This is one of those things you must see in your lifetime...I am truly at a loss for words.

I have been promising pictures for a month! I know, but the Internet connections have not been great and one picture can take up to 30 minutes. I'll keep trying :)

1 comment:

felicia king said...

when are you coming home, I miss you girl! I mean I am happy for you and everything but damn, every chick I see driving a big azz SUV reminds me of you, now you know that ain't right.