Monday, July 14, 2008

The Algarve, Portugal



Just my luck that Mom wanted to go to Portugal, so here we are! We spent 4 days driving around the southern coast and up the west coast to Lisbon. I've been driving, which is hysterical, bc the last time I drove was in New Zealand and I was on the left side of the road in a giant SUV. Now I´m back on the right side of the road, in a tiny, manual transmission VW Polo. Half the time I´m questioning what side of the road should I be on and looking left when I should be looking right - scary, right? I also find the street signs really confusing. For example, there´s a round red sign with a red car and a black car - WTF, am I red, am I black? And once I figure out what color, what do I do? The roundabouts are MASSIVE and make me sweat. That coupled with mom navigating from the passenger seat, yelling to turn right, (well it´s a circle, mom, what does turn right mean?), driving will be the end of me. And if we don't die on the city roads, we'll for sure meet our demise while on the highway. The suggested speed is 120 km/hr (75mph). I am the only one going 120. So I bump it up to 130 so at least I can pass the trucks.

We flew into Faro which is the main city in the south. Neither one of us were really interested in the city, so we headed east to Tavira. A very quaint town with a river running through it to the ocean. We only had 4 days to make our way to Lisbon, so we hopped around a lot, but we did manage to spend a few quality days on the beach. The weather was gorgeous and I've brought new meaning to the word tan :) We stayed in Sagres and Vila do Milfontes, two sleepy surf towns...did you know that the west coast of Portugal is a great surf spot? Neither did I and was looking forward to checking out the action (come on now, everyone is a sucker for a surfer) but the surf was blown out by the wind. Regardless, just chillin' was good enough.

Mom and I are headed to Lisbon for 3 days...

No comments: