Monday, July 28, 2008

Exeter, England


I've spent the last 5 days in Exeter with a great friend, Annika, who I met in India. Exeter is in Devon, southwest of London near the coast. It is quintessential English countryside with the green rolling hills and tons of sheep. The town is very quaint, very English with a massive cathedral and the Exe River river flowing through. I have been exposed to proper English tea with clotted cream and scones, fish and chips, and Sunday roastie. Spending time with Annika and her friends has really made me miss my friends back home!

I've been 'wankering' on (i have learned some interesting English words which I'll try to incorporate) about being in the UK for so long, but I've come to realize that this time is preparing me for when I come home. I have been so busy running around, visiting friends, spending time with family, that I haven't spent any time alone. I have barely written in my journal or on the blog. And when I do get to it, I find it difficult to get inside my brain and heart and write about what's going on. I have to practice listening so I can understand my feelings and thoughts and connect them with what's happening in my life and in my environment. I know it sounds like I'm over thinking things, but for me
it's much more rewarding (albeit challenging) to be able to listen and understand my feelings and write about them, than it is to ignore.

It's been a challenge for me to incorporate the 'new' me with the 'old' me. But I think I've found my way and the feeling of coming home is stronger than it has been in months. I have really missed connecting with my friends. Part of that, of course, is because I've been gone, but I think a bigger part is b/c I understand myself so much better. My priorities have changed. For me, there is more to life than I previously thought. My decisions, thoughts and feelings come from a different place. I do things differently, I have new perspective, I feel whole, but yet not complete. But that's ok, because it gives me something to look forward to. And, as crazy as it sounds, there are times when I have really missed having a companion. For the times when my journeys are frustrating and for when they are extraordinary an arm around the shoulder would be enough. But, I realize for that to happen, I have to be a little more stationary, but just a little :)

So, as I said before, I'm getting ready to come home, but I'm not quite done yet. I really want to end this trip on my own, just like I started. So I think another 2 months should do it.

I know what you're thinking: 'bollucks'.

No comments: