Sunday, February 17, 2008

Abel Tasman, NZ



I'd planned to stay in Nelson for 2 days while I explored Abel Tasman National Park, but I ended up in a little town called Motueka - another one street town. I'm so glad that things worked out like this b/c I'm closer to the park. Im staying in a backpackers called Happy Apples or something like that. I'm finding that if I tell the people at the I-Site (Visitor center) the type of backpacker place I'm looking for, they have just the thing, instead of me searching through my books. This place is great, only 20 rooms, a variety of ages and nationalities, and everyone is easy to talk to - definitley not my experience in the past.

I spent the day kayaking and walking in the Abel Tasman Park - absolutely unbeliveable. The landscapte is so beautiful that it brings tears to your eyes. The sea is the color of that crayon - I think its called aqua marine...it reminds me of the tropics, crystal clear and blue-green and the beaches have the perfect sand with perfect seashells to search for. Right behind, the mountains start and Abel Tasman Park practically shoots right out of the ocean. Its breathtaking. There are numerous multi-day hikes to take and when I come back I'm definitely doing one. Backpacking here is different than what I think of in that there are little huts to stay in overnight, instead of tent camping. Sounds doable!

I'm cutting this a little short b/c the computer is showing my letters 10seconds after I type and it's super annoying. More tomorrow!

No comments: