Thursday, February 21, 2008

Queenstown



I just climbed a mountain.

I'm in Queenstown, land of extreme sports, and I climbed a mountain. I just couldn't hurl myself, willingly out of a plane or off a bridge.

My backpackers is walking distance from town. I'm on the second story flat, so it's me in my single room and then a 6-bed room. Last night 4 boys (and I purposely use that word b/c they're all 20!) from Sweden were my flatmates. We chatted after I got back from dinner for hours - they are just too sweet. For those of you who hae been to Europe, don't you find that people are so much more emotional and passionate? These 4 guys went to school together, grew up together and now have been living together for the last several months. They're always looking out for one another, it's just very sweet and endearing.
But getting on. So we talked about Sweden, California, music, surfing, I mean you name it, they were very engaging. At about midnight, they're putting their shoes on to go out, while I'm yawning and getting ready to go to bed. But they invite me along and I find myself accepting. So we head downtown and I'm so glad that I went b/c I had wanted to go to the World Bar, voted best bar in NZ by someone, b/c they serve their drinks in teapots! There's probably the equivalent of a drink or drink & a half, but they give you these teeny tiny shot glasses to drink out of. So the 5 of us split a teapot - it was so fun! The music was loud and they played a variety of stuff. The boys knew all the words to the songs (so did I :) so we sang and laughed til 2:30 (!)

I'm definitely becoming more comfortable in the backpackers accomodations, which is great b/c they're so cheap!

Oh, and I figured out how to get pictures up, I just need to find a place to plug in my camera, so hopefully by next post, I'll have visual aids :)

No comments: