Friday, April 18, 2008

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Holy Shit, I'm in Africa.
I swear I have to pinch myself 3 times a day - I cannot believe the things that I'm doing.
I have been here for 5 days or so, just taking it easy. My cousin lives here and owns/operates the community swimming pool where the local schools send their children for swimming lessons - it's so ridiculously cute, I can't tell you. I promise to put some pictures up!

As many of you know, my family is from Dar es Salaam. My parents left in 1969 and my dad, who's flying in today, hasn't been back since. So I'm really looking forward to sharing this experience with him.

Dar is a big city, I think 4 million or so, and is much cleaner than India :) For those of you who are looking on the map - its on the East Coast, right under Kenya and the equator. So needless to say it's HOT! April is the rainy season, so we get massive downpours for 15 minutes or so and then blue sky. Africans are a beautiful people, they are always smiling, laughing and singing. No one is in a hurry to do anything, it's all very laid back...

I've had some amazing food here. The other day my cousin took me to the Kaytee shop (I'm not sure that's how you spell it, but whatever). It's a TINY shop with 3 tables 9 chairs and you just sit where it's open. We had had kebabs, oh my god, I ate 7, at least. I think it was ground lamb, deep fried with coconut chuntey and chai so sweet your spoon stands up. Wow.
The fruit here is unreal, some of it I've never seen before. Everyday I've had something new and you know that's new for me, b/c I eat just about everything.

So Dad and I are going on a safari next week and then spending a few days in Zanzibar. Sounds fantastically exotic, doesn't it? lol. Pictures for sure next time.

No comments: