Sunday, April 6, 2008

Munnar


What a change of pace and weather I've just had! I traveled from Alleppey to Kottayam by ferry and then took a bus to Munnar. This 'hill station' is at 1500m, and we are very close to the highest point in India, I think 2600m...I have no idea how high that is, but it took us 5 hours to get from the ocean, at a steady climb, here. And what a ride that was, the bus driver was a former Indy car driver, I'm sure. There's a torrential downpour, thunder, lightening, the whole bit, and we are bobbing and weaving all through traffic up this 2 lane, crazy, windy road, hugging the mountain wall one minute and breaking off asphalt on the cliff side the next minute. Of course I'm seated, again, at the front right across from the driver. About 3 hours in, while my toes are curled around the bar in front of me to prevent me from eating windshield, the driver turns to me with a rag and says 'clean'. Which means I'm to pry my clenched butt cheeks off the seat, actually lean forward and de-fog the side mirror and window. Is he insane?! For the love. But you know, when you have that seat, there is some responsibility...so I take a deep breath and lean forward.

I do get a chance to enjoy the scenery on the drive and it is stunning! Tea and cardamon plantations everywhere, they've planted tea like napa is planted with grapes. The bushes are tightly packed with teeny tiny rows between for the pickers to walk and they undulate with the contours of the landscape. I feel like climbing up onto the bushes and barrel-rolling down, just like when you were a kid!

It's finally cool. I dont' know if I've mentioned, but the stifiling heat/humidity has been a little ridiculous. However, for the first time since I've been in India, I wore my fleece the other night. Lovely...there's actually FOG in the morning, and it cools down at night. Definitely my kind of place!

I'm having so much fun and I've met so many fantastic people that I've decided to extend my trip in India for a week, so more to come....

1 comment:

felicia king said...

girl - too funny! the bus ride was hilarious!! I am glad your last leg of India is going sooo well. So the Admin group is trying to figure out what to do for Sect. Day. I said, what would Farah do? Vicki Colls says, go to Europe!! We miss you girl - come back to work soon!!!