Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Farewell to India

India offered me every emotion and I took advantage of it. Now that my time here is over, I've had a few days to think back on my almost 2 months in this country. When I started planning my journey, I remember thinking, India will be easy, 6 weeks will pass quickly. But I could not have been more wrong. It's not just the traveling that was difficult, I was difficult. Within the first 2 weeks I became Farah the Traveler. I had my game face and my suit of armor on, nothing was going to get in...but that's not the point, is it? How do you experience a culture so vastly different than what you know, when you have a wall up? I mean, I had to navigate train stations, find places to stay & negotiate purchasing toilet paper, while 1 billion people are breathing down my neck and my personal space isn't my own anymore because I'm sharing it with a family of 7, their goat and a crate of chickens. How do you let that in? I don't know either, but you do, and not because you have to, but because you want to. I thought I knew myself but I never thought I was capable of the things I've done. It's not just India I've let in, but a side of me I've let out.

I am Farah the Traveler, but I'm softer. I have learned to open & follow my heart while my brain takes a break. And let me tell you, that is harder for me than you can imagine. I SO want to make lists, call ahead, check the reviews on line & get the best deal. Those of you who know me, know I am a planner! This is where meeting other travelers becomes invaluable. Adventures, advice, and proper English become good tales and the people attached to those tales become family. That's why I extended my trip for a week. It didn't feel right to be leaving when I had just met these people...I felt like my adventures were just beginning.

India wasn't ready to let me go, and when I needed friends, companionship & a reason to stay, they were all delivered...I will always be grateful for that.

2 comments:

Julia said...

OMG Farah,you give me goosebumps. You are so eloquent and it sounds like you have grown in so many different dimensions. I have always admired you and thought you were so brave to do this, but now it seems like this was just the journey you had to take! No questions, you had to do this. You are one remarkable lady.

Rez said...

Wow! The growth you're experiencing is trully awesome and amazing. Your writing is wonderful, someone said it in another comment, but I will reiterate it- you need to write a book. These blogs and the pictures you've taken will help you remember everything: Farah the American, becomes Farah the traveler, becomes Farah the??? Who knows where your journey will take you and what you will find and discover? farah, take care, be safe, and we'll talk to you soon. Let me know when your visit to Atlanta will be when you return stateside.