Monday, June 9, 2008

Korcula, Croatia



So I have managed my way from Rovinj to Rijeka to Zadar to Split and finally to the island of Korcula. Wow - it's ridiculously beautiful here. I arrived by ferry from Split and met another woman traveling alone. We stayed at the only backpackers, called One Love (OK!) last night. The Lonely Planet describes it as a well run, fun management, but not a place to get much sleep. So true :) I checked into a private room in an lady's house this morning. This is the norm, more than hostels and backpackers. The little old ladies come accosting you at the bus and ferry stations with pictures and maps of their places. For the most part you can negotiate a good deal, especially since it is only mid-season. And with all the negotiating I have under my belt, you can be sure I am getting a good deal.

You know, it's been interesting for me the last several weeks, being back in "western" culture. I struggled to find myself, because I felt like I couldn't go back to the 'old' me - the one before this trip - but I've found it hard to maintain the 'new' me in this part of the world. I know eventually I will be back in the US and I will have to adjust, and I wonder how that will play out. I check in with myself and really think about: ˝is what I'm doing making me happy?˝ Sometimes the answer isn't as clear or as easy as you'd think.

As I grapple with the adjustment, I've come to understand that regardless of where I am and what I'm doing, I am already different and I feel good about who I am. I understand that life isn't about having your environment dictate who you are, but knowing yourself well enough to be true to who you are and flexible enough to appreciate your environment. I really didn't think about how much I would be effected by being back in 'western' culture, but because I've changed, I am already make a difference in the world.

4 comments:

Shiraz said...

I am so glad and happy for you to have taken this trip to find out who you really are. Now that you have started to scratch the surface, the search goes on. It is a life long quest and you make adjsutments along the way. You are already so much ahead of me when I was your age.

And when you return to the US (sometime :-)), you should continue on the path of self actualization. There are other ways beside travel that one can. We can talk about other options upon your return. At this point absorb and rationalisze all that you can durin your journey. Love, Dad :-)

Falu said...

You are so lucky and fortunate to be doing what you are doing.

I am SOOOO envious of all you are doing and what you are becoming. Like your Dad said, we were well into our forties before we began to even THINK about doing the stuff you do!!! Happy for you and best of luck in all your searching and seeking .... it is a growing experience!

Please come see us when your travels bring you to our neck of the woods!

This is my third attempt at "blogging"....... keep on and keep us informed.

Love Falu

Julia said...

OMG, you are giving me goosebumps with this one. I asked you early on if you read "eat, pray, love"? I just finished it and you just summed it up. Wow! You are so insightful, I am just sitting here shaking my head. I want to thank you again for letting me 'travel' with you. I am always eagerly waiting for your next post.

Jennifer said...

Awesome, honey. You will continue to grow because that is what you do. Have no fear -- embrace it as it comes. You're amazing! Much love, J.