Saturday, June 7, 2008

Rovinj



Say: Rovin. The j is silent, why even have it? whatever
Ok, so I have just met the tallest person in my life. 7 feet 2 inches - are you joking? I had to squint to talk to him b/c I was burning my retinas looking up at the sun. No joke. Our chance meeting happened due to the bus breaking down from Zagreb to Rovinj. It's already a 6 hour journey, made longer b/c of mechanical problems. But everyone on the bus was very friendly, and luckily we broke down in front of a cafe. I also met Jake and Millie, Croatian Americans who have been living in the US for 40 years or so. I think they learned english in New Jersey, b/c Millie was full of "whaddaya, crazy?" She complained about her fellow countrymen tinkering with the bus, while her husband threw back 3 or 4 beers and kept telling her to chill out. It was very endearing.
Rovinj is a great coastal city, it really reminds me of Venice with the narrow cobblestone alleyways and laundry hanging from building to building. I've been here for 3 days and am reluctantly leaving tomorrow. And for all my friends who have been waiting for me to announce: yes, there is a mega yacht docked here and yes I am trying my damnedest to get an invite (where are my gold shoes!) This thing must be 300 feet and has a helicopter parked on deck 3. Plus their version of the 'zodiac' to get them from ship to shore, is just a regular 'ole yacht. More to come on that. Keep your fingers crossed :)

No comments: