Wednesday, August 13, 2008

6 months

Has ıt really been 6 months?

I've been sitting here in this hot as hell Internet cafe in Fethiye, Turkey, reflecting on my last 6 months and I feel like you know everything already. I've shared with you what I've seen, how I've traveled, my doubts, my perspective, in fact I've been more open on this blog than I thought I would. But I'm glad you've been following me...it's nice having a bit of home while on the road

So, I think I'll try something new and tell you about my gear. I know it's not deep, but it's been with me the entire journey, so I think it deserves some mention. My pack started off at 20lbs when I weighed it at SFO way back in February. If I do say so, I packed brilliantly. Everything I brought I used. From the zip off pants-to-shorts to the sleeping sack. I had 2 pairs of shoes: Reef platform flip-flops and Clarks walking shoes. I flattened the flip flops by May, but continued to wear them until July, which was a bad call, because I've jacked my hip (but nothing that a week at the spa won't fix). So one pair of new flips later, and I'm good to go until I get home. I think I told you that I sent my rain coat home with Jennifer when I was in Greece and that wasn't a good call either, b/c 2 weeks later I was in torrential downpours in Croatia. I've changed out all my t-shirts I had in India because of the laundry situation. Washing clothes on a rock using a rock to beat them clean tends to shorten the life of your clothing, you know? I have all 8 pairs of underwear I started out with. And I know you're thinking that having chonies for 6 months is not unreasonable, but when you wash them weekly... the cuteness fades away.

Now this is not to say that I haven't done my fair share of shopping, because let me tell you London has some fabulous shopping...to date (and what I can remember) I've bought 5 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of pants, a leather jacket, several shirts/tanks, and many gift-y items. But many thanks to Zahra, Dad, Jennifer, Kelsey and Mom for taking my purchases home. On average now, I carry 12 kilos, which is about 26lbs. I have acquired 3 skirts, 2 dresses, 1 pair of jeans but I've gotten rid of 2 pairs of pants, rain coat and 3 t-shirts (replaced by tanks). The stupidest thing I'm carrying is a bottle of my perfume (Gucci II). I was missing a little bit of girly-ness, so now have this ridiculous glass bottle of fragrance. The thing I hate the most is my bag of electronics - phone charger, iPod charger, universal converter, camera cord, battery charger. I can never fold it small enough. And recently I've acquired a Kurdish rug which I'll have to carry around for the next 3 weeks, but it's manageable.

But now I'm missing my friends and family and I think that's a good indication of being ready to come home. Not to say that you haven't been on my mind the last 6 months, but rather I've had other things rattling around in there that have taken up residence lately. So I'll finish up Turkey and am thinking of a side trip to Syria (but it's so f-ing hot right now so we'll see) and move westward beginning of September. But, by now you have come to know the erratic nature of my traveling, so all I can say is we'll see :)

So, with much love...thank you for keeping track of me via the blog and for all your comments and well wishes along the way. I thought that I was on this trip alone and I needed time away, but really, you have been with me the entire journey. I am looking forward to coming home.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Excited to hear when you are heading back. Have truly enjoyed traveling with you.