Friday, August 15, 2008

Selcuk, Fethiye, Blue Cruise, Turkey

I took the overnight bus from Istanbul to Selcuk (say: Sal-chuk). The bus system here is very easy, but we stopped like 5 times on a 10 hour journey. I stayed in Selcuk to see the ancient ruins in Ephesus, but, and this sounds so bad, after being in Petra I wasn't as 'wow-ed' as I should have been. But the place I stayed, Atilla's Getaway was well worth the trip out there. It's an oasis with a pool and tons of places to chill out with a good book. I spent 2 very lazy days lounging in a Turkish sitting area (harem), you know, carpets, pillows, no shoes, nargile (hooka). I really can't complain.

I've been surprised to meet so many Americans traveling in Turkey. In fact, I think I've met more Americans here than I have in the last 6 months. I met Josh from San Francisco and we decided that if the timing worked out with our travels we'd take the Blue Cruise together. So from Selcuk I headed to the Mediterranean Coast to Fethiye (say: Fet-ee-ya) where the boat was leaving on Saturday to Olympos. The boat is actually a gullet, but we never sailed, which was a little disappointing, but I got over it right quick after my daily morning swim in the Med. Ok, so if you haven't had a twinge of jealousy yet, now is the time to stop reading.

After 2 nights in Fethiye and 2 nights in Faralya in a bungalow overlooking butterfly valley, I met Josh on the dock and we set off for 4 days cruising the Med. I don't think I've mentioned, but it is hot here - I'd say close to 100 every day. Even being on the water it was crazy hot. So everyone took their bedding from the staterooms and slept on the deck on lounge cushions. It was so fun, like one giant slumber party. We used our stateroom as a big closet with shower and toilet. Ok, right, so there were 2 couples from Turkey, 4 people from Spain and a family of 4 from Libya.

In the beginning our group was a little shy, but by day 2 we were all friends. It was really easy to talk to everyone, even when english was limited. I absolutely fell in love with the Libyan family, and have promised that I will visit one day.

On the last night the captain promised us an evening of fun and shortly after dinner a boat pulled up to take us to the Smugglers Inn - a disco/bar on the beach. OMG, what a riot! Each gulet's passengers had taken over a harem to chill in, but our group hit the dance floor like banshees and we didn't stop until everyone had left.

One of my 'must do's' on this trip was this cruise and I'm so glad that I was able to! 4 days of looking out at the beautiful blue Mediterranean, swimming, reading and meeting new friends...this is what vacation is all about. Now if I could just stop rocking...

3 comments:

The Rober said...

Nice to read you Farah!
That was a really great cruise.
Even more than the Love Boat.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the tour.

Kisses from Roberto (Valencia)

The Rober said...

By the way, could you mail me? I didn't catch properly your mail address. I've uploaded some pictures you may like to see...

Carter Collins said...

Blue cruise gulettes is the perfect platform for exploring the mediterranean costs. It is an independent gulet charter company providing a unique cruising experience. Thanks a lot....

Blue Cruise Turkey