Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bangkok to Chaing Mai

Glad to be moving out of Bangkok. That place seriously gave me the black lung.

Josh and I headed out on a 13-hour overnight train ride to Chiang Mai, northwest of Bangkok. The train was pretty luxurious for being '2nd class'. But just before 8pm, one of the stewards comes over and points to our bunks and says "sleep". Really? It's 7:45...we just cracked a Singha, we're chillin'. That was the look. He's obviously no dummy to this game, so he goes on and starts making other people's bunks. Which is kinda nice b/c my experience on overnight trains is getting linen tossed at me.

So we're drinking and carrying on, it's 8:10 and he's back. Josh and I have the 2 upper bunks and of course our lower bunkmates are ready to call it a night and have been evil eyeing us for the past 20 minutes. Really? again, it's barely 8pm. Fine. One of the servers tells us there's a dining car we can sit in - 'you can't miss it', he tells us. Well, duh, it's the next car over! So we slide the doors open and wouldn't you know, the place is jumpin'. Classic 70's jams, people carrying on over whiskeys and beers. It was - awesome.

We couldn't leave. We talked about it, we tried, we were sucked in.

And then this morning around 6am the steward comes around just as people are stirring and I'm peeking out from my curtain to see what the fuss is all about and he points to my bunk and says, "finished". Really? I guess that's good morning in Thai.

Needless to say, I need a nap.

No comments: