Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Siem Reap, Cambodia

It is pissing down rain. Like flash flood style.

We didn't stay long in Phnom Penh, less than 24 hours, but I loved the city on first sight. I was hoping to get back after siem reap, but the call of the ocean is overwhelming and I've convinced Josh that a 10 hour overnight bus on Friday is a good idea.

We took a 6 hour bus ride from Phnom Penh and arrived in Siem Reap around 2pm and were immediately accosted at the bus station...ahh nothing like being back in a developing country, negotiating every-little-thing. Walter yelled the loudest and spoke the best english, so for a dollar each, brought us to his 'friend's' guesthouse. Oh, yeah...they use US dollars here. I think it's b/c their riel is 4000 to $1, which makes the math long, and you have to carry around like a million.

Our main objective is to spend a few days in the Angkor temple "park"". It kinda reminds me of Petra in Jordan, there's so much, it takes a few days. Around 5, walter picked us up in his tuk tuk, which is a semi automatic moped with a hitch pulling a "wagon". Super safe and maneuverable. We get to the park and climb up a little hill to this ahh-ma-zing stone temple. We scramble up the steepest set of stairs to be greeted by 360 views of Cambodia. Breath taking. And seven hundred other tourists. Awesome. So I'm cruising around, enjoying being in my own thoughts when the first rumble of thunder comes rolling across the sky. People are leaving. The first drops of rain start to fall and there's a mass exodus down the path. Josh and I are sitting watching, both of us thinking, "should we, shouldn't we?" walter tossed me an umbrella before we left, so I'm feeling confident. And then the sky opened up. there are 11 of us left at the top. so we sit and wait; sorta dry from the umbrella but not really. And then it really starts raining and I'm just laughing like a crazy lady...ask and you shall receive. we wanted less crowds and we got it :)

20 minutes later, soaked to the bone, walter greets us at the bottom and whisks us away for a steamy ride back. His tuk tuk is the delux model - it's got roll down plastic doors. Hell ya. Nothing but style, baby.

1 comment:

felicia king said...

OK, CAMBODIA !!! girl next you are going to have your own reality show, like Crocidile Dundee or something..I'm just glad you'll be back a whole lot sooner! and thank you for sharing this experience - I was at the top of the stone thingy with you! and "dour", I have so heard that expression from you before - damn funny. can you get me a budda through security? am I even thinking about the right country? girl I'll be honest, when you said you was going to Twaain or whereever it was before Cambodia I had to look at a map to realize what side of the world you was getting ready to be on....still can't say that I know but I HAVE heard of Cambodia! You gonna visit Vietnam too? So the only place you got left to go is like Antarticia or someplace miserbly cold...and outter space of course. luv ya girl - got a shot with your name on it, holla at me when you get back