Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bangkok

Woo hoo! I'm here!

I woke up Tuesday morning with a fever and sore throat - sweet! 17 hour flight ahead of me into the land of, "we are thermally scanning your body temperature even before you hit immigration b/c damn it if another person dies of swine flu on my watch". Okay.

Again, but not surprising, I slept most of flight to Tokyo. Was awake and coherent long enough to make my connection. And passed out again. All this without one cocktail. Segway into: screw United International! $6 for an alcoholic beverage in Economy? After strolling through the 'suites' of first class and the luxury of business class, only to find that you and the rest of the herd have to fight for overhead bin space AND have to pay for booze? wtf

Anyway, both flights were uneventful (I think) and on time (shocking). I landed in Bangkok around 11pm on Wednesday and it was 80 degrees. Hell ya.

As soon as I got here, everything calmed down. I don't know if it's 24 hours of traveling, or just having the space and time to check out. I feel like I'm on the verge of being in this state all the time, but I never quite make it. It's so frustrating, b/c I know this one, and I can be good at it...what keeps me from getting there?

I'm meeting Josh, by bud who I traveled with in Turkey last year. I've heard from other travelers, that often times when you meet someone on the road and then see them in their home country the energy isn't the same. Well, not the case for Josh and I. He lives in SF and we hang out every so often and it's just as easy as I remember. Plus, it's hard to be in anyone's space 24/7, especially while traveling in a foreign country. So I knew when he said he'd be in Thailand, that 1) I had to come and 2) we are going to have a crazy good time.

The hotel he's staying in is RIDICULOUS. Swanky, modern, fabulous. Just what I need. We have dark hardwood floors in our room, washer/dryer, kitchenette, tub that I'm pretty sure I can stretch out in (which, if you're over 5'5" is a big deal). I'm looking out over downtown Bangkok right now, thinking about chillin by the pool this afternoon.

I'll be in Bangkok until Saturday, and then the adventure really starts...stay tuned.

1 comment:

Vibhuti said...

Hey Farah..
was really missing you on the blog scene..
And now that ur back..its beautiful again!
Keep travelling babes and posting all those interesting tidbits...