Monday, March 24, 2008

Bombay-Pune-Lonavla

i decided not to stay in Bombay but I flew there from Udaipur on my way to Pune. To tell you the truth, I'm glad I didn't stay, b/c I got enough of Bombay on the drive from the airport to the train station which goes right through town. It's wall to wall taxis, buildings and people. 2/3 of the population live in slums...does anyone know the population of Bombay? suffice it to say that it's A LOT. You know, I've read the word 'squalor', but the meaning comes to life when you see how these people live. Corrigated metal, tarps and rocks form the walls and roofs of shacks that are strung together for miles. Garbage burns in piles 4 feet high and 30 feet long right where children are running around half naked, relieving themselves in the same spot they're playing in. It's unreal to see the conditions these people live it.

I would give my skin, if I thought it would help.

But Bombay is resilient and these people have come from villages where they are worse off (if you can believe it). They've come to Bombay for a chance that something positive will happen...that their lives will be transformed...and if anything is going to happen, it will happen in Bombay.

I hopped on a train from Bombay to Pune. The train station was a scene! 15 trains, 40 windows to buy tickets to all over the country. And you have to stand in a particular line depending on where you're heading - for the love. Where are the directions? I must have looked particularly pathetic, b/c a man came up to me and asked if I wanted help. Well, knowing that I'm a target (tourist, female, traveling alone - hello), I said no, I'm fine, I'll figure this out. He must have seen the look on my face b/c he proceeded to tell me that he wasn't there to scam me and that he's waiting for a friend and he genuinely wanted to help and see to it that I have a good experience in India. So I very cautiously followed this man and what do you know, he didn't scam me and he really did want to help. He helped me with my ticket and showed me where the train was and then he said good bye. And I was skeptical!

I spent 4 days in Pune with family friends. It was so nice to just chill. OH, I almost forgot to tell you this new word I heard: chillaxing. LOVE IT! Ok, so I'm chillaxing in Pune (say poona) regrouping for my 3 weeks in South India. We take a trip to Lonavla which is a hill station 90 min from Pune to visit family. The next thing you know, I've been invited to Goa for a club opening on Monday. Well I politely decline b/c I'm heading to Kerela, but they insist - so much so that they cancel my flight to kerela, purchase me a ticket to goa and pay for my hotel. So here I am in Goa, funny how things work out.

No comments: