Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Goa

Why didn't I come here first?! Goa is absolutely beautiful! Tropical, beach-y, hot...everything that I love. I've been in South Goa for 3 days, it's more mellow and chill-axed than the North. If you've ever heard anything about Goa it's usually related to the crazy partying, which happens in the North. In the South it's mostly Indian families that come for the weekend, so it's pretty quiet.

Six of us came down on Saturday for the club opening. Three of them designed the club and were doing the event management for the opening. I guess it was kind of a big deal b/c South Goa doesn't have any clubs much the less a night life, so there were belly dancers, scantily clad ladies welcoming guests, a DJ from Bombay, even an Indian celebrity! I think the media was there so I'll be sure to save the front page paper w/ my picture.

Today I've taken the bus, actually 2 buses, to the North and I'm going to spend 2 days here before heading to Kerela. The bus was an experience...There's no time table, they just leave when the bus is full. It cost me 30Rs, which isn't even a $1, so I'm not complaining.

The beach town I'm at is called Baga...most of the hippies hang out in Anjuna which is further north and that's where the drug scene is big. I guess it's gotten out of hand and there are rumors that the police are corrupt (surprising? not really) and that the Russian mafia is somehow involved. On Wednesday's there's a big flea market in Anjuna, I can only imagine what's being sold :) I'll let you know what I find.

4 comments:

LesleyKeffer said...

Wow, what a trip you're on! How long are you away? Nice travelogue. Take care. - Lesley at St. Supery

Anonymous said...

Farah- Sorru I haven't had a chance to respond to all the posts. I'm gonna send you an email, so check it when you can. Also, you should start uploading all your pictures to kodakgallery, so we can all share in your travels.

Sandy said...

Hey Farah. Sounds amazing. Enjoying reading your posts - makes my upcoming trip to Idaho nothing to write home about :)
Be safe - have fun - save a horse, ride a camel -- Sandy

Rohanna said...

Farah your pictures are fabulous. I just wish I had the time to join you on this outstanding trip. I can't wait to see and hear more.

Take Care ~ RO