Friday, March 28, 2008

Varkala



I flew to Trivandrum yesterday which is in Kerala...my ticket said leaving Goa at 1:45 and arriving at 6:40 and I'm thinking: is it really that far, have I misjudged the distance? Well no. We stopped like 4 TIMES, for the love. My whole day was take offs and landings.
Anyway, I finally made it to Varkala which is about 45km north. The area I'm in is called North Cliff and it's just that...there is a foot path that goes along the cliff where the hotels, restaurants, shops & yoga studios are and then it's a really steep long climb down the cliff to the beach.
Today I signed up for some yoga classes and I had an aruvedyic massage. It was not what I was expecting. The table was carved wood, no padding, no towel, no soft music playing, no ambiance. But, you know, this is what it's all about, so I'm down. The massage was not very relaxing, needless to say. I also had a scalp massage, which involves warm oil drizzled across your forehead for 45 minutes. I'm a little skeptical, plus, all that oil is going right into my hair and hot water is not a given. But again, I tough it out. Well the oil is BURNING, and I'm trying to tell her that it's too hot and she's just drizzling away, finally, I'm practically to the door and she's like, too hot, madame? UGH - That lasted about 10 minutes too long, I think I'll stick to yoga.
I'm going to stay here for 5-6 days and just chillax on the beach in between yoga classes. I haven't had any physical activity in a month, so we'll see how this goes :)

No comments: