Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Jaisalmer, India


I left Jodhpur last night on the 11:15pm train to Jaisalmer, it's a 5-6hour ride. If you're looking on the map, I'm practically in the desert near the Pakistan border. The train ride was interesting, I booked a sleeper, AC car. B/c god forbid you get stuck in a car or a train w/o AC! (lol). SO anyway, I've got myself an upper bunk, and I'm tired, from being sick and waiting around all day for my train. I'm lumbering my way down the aisle of my car, b/c at this point not only have I done some shopping so my pack is bursting, but I've accumulated another small piece of hand luggage. I get to my # and i'm the top of 3 bunks. Shit. Not only that but there are 2 sets of 3 bunks facing one another, then a small aisle and then 3 additional bunks facing us. I heave my bag up there b/c there's no way it's fitting under the lower bunk, and scramble up. I can sit up but hunched over w/ my head almost in my lap. There are all kinds of people getting on and I'm relieved that most of them are tourists. What dumbass would take only a 6 hour journey in the middle of the night. Anyway, across from me is a guy from SF, of all places! So nice to speak english gramatically correct. I'm always telling people, no marriage, i have small sister only, more cheaper, you get my point. 5 or 6 hours goes by pretty quick and i'm surprised that I slept. The guy from the Shahi Palace picks me up w/ a couple from Scottland and we head out. What they didnt' tell me when booking is that checkout for the current guests isn't until 9am. OK. It's now 6am. So our option is the roof top terrace, and at first i'm a little skeptical, but it turns out to be absolutely stunning and the guy sets up beds for us on these built in daybed benches and we're looking at this glorious fort lit up right in front of us and the sky is turning that most amazing blue color right before sunrise, and all is good.

My room is awesome! This place is built outof sand stone w/ intricate lattice work and carvings and I'm paying $20 a night. A family owns this place and they are very warm and welcoming. I was invited to help make an authentic indian meal at the owners house w/ some other guests tonight! yey!!! I'll let you know how that goes b/c we're having mutton (goat).
Hope all is well!

No comments: