Saturday, March 1, 2008

Delhi, India



Oh, where to start! I can't believe I've been in India for almost a week! I arrived in Delhi on Tuesday last week. Delhi is crazy, that's all I can say. From the airport to the driving to the city, it's all hectic. Zahra and I got an Auto-Rickshaw, which is a 3-wheeler with a covered carriage on the back. Usually it's meant for 2-3, but we have seen up to 10 inside. Anyway, these things arent' very fast, but very maneuverable. Which is important because you're sharing the road with cars, trucks, scooters, cows, dogs, people, motorcycles, bicycles...you get the point. The lanes on the road are just for show and red lights are an option. If you didnt grow up in India there is no way you could drive here. The horn is used in the most polite ways, as a blinker, when you want to pass, to let drivers know you're behind and want to pass, to let others know to move out of the way b/c you want to pass, hows the weather up there b/c I want to pass, you get the idea. Needless to say, horns are blowing constantly.

Anyway, back to the Auto. We cruise through Delhi and Old Delhi, taking all the sights and smells...Old Delhi is, well, old. There is a lot of poverty, buildings are really run down, things are much dirtier, you can see why they had to build New Delhi :( I wasn't a fan of Delhi, it's just too crowded - I can only imagine how Mumbai is going to be.

No comments: