Monday, March 17, 2008

Udaipur



To the dismay of my new family in the desert, I finally left and headed to the lake town of Udaipur. They really wanted me to stay and celebrate Holi on March 21 - which is the festival when everyone throws (powdered or liquid) color in the air and you come out looking like a clown. But I couldn't do a week in the desert...so I'm headed for the ocean.

You'll know Udaipur from the James Bond movie, Octopussy. Definitely go out and rent it. Almost every hotel/restaurant/bar has a daily showing of the movie - but being the 007 buff that I am, I have seen the movie at least 7 times. The town is very cute, with lots of winding roads around the lake. At sunset, I went to a roof top terrace and ordered a beer, but this place doesn't have a license, so they brought it out in a teapot!

Tomorrow I'm flying to Mumbai and then taking the train to Pune. I'll stay a few days w/ mom's friend and enjoy some home cooking and some family love before setting off to Goa.

No comments: