Monday, March 31, 2008

Varkala part 2



I am having an fantastic time here! I've met up with a few travelers, one from California, 2 from England, and a few from Sweden. This is exactly the sort of traveling I thought and hoped I would encounter in India! It's been so much fun, and everyone is in the same travel mode as i am. We took the local bus into town yesterday b/c we heard that there was a festival with elephants. The bus is crazy, you just flag it down and hope that it slows down enough for you to jump on (and off). The parade was interesting. There were tons of people in the street and floats with giant hindu gods driving by. We got to the elephant part and it was so sad to see them chained like they were that we couldn't watch all 51 go by so we headed back to the beach for a sunset beer.

Tomorrow 6 of us are going to do the houseboat trip through the backwaters. I'm so glad, b/c I wouldn't have gone on my own, but just opted for the touristy day trip. So now we'll get to see village life along the rivers, which should be very cool. This has really been a highlight of my trip to India and I'm so bummed that it's coming to an end next week! But I am definitely coming back to tour more of the South.


No comments: